I had the worst run tonight. It started out okay but when I got to my first interval something didn't feel right. It was kinda painful but I thought my muscles just needed to warm-up. So I kept going. Interval 2 and 3 were hard to do but I struggled through. 4 was almost unbearable and halfway through 5 I had to stop cause it felt like my knee was going to explode. Luckily I wasn't too far from home (my route is kind of a figure 8) so I hobbled home and by the time I got there I was in tears. I could barely walk. Both knees hurt but my right knee was sending pain radiating down to my ankle along my shin and up to my hip via the inside of my thigh. Every step was agony. Jason had to help me into the house and down to the couch. He got me some frozen veggies, some Advil and elevated my leg which hurt like crazy. Then he had to leave for work, he offered to stay home and I told him he was being silly that I'd be fine. I got up and started walking around a bit and it started to feel better. It's been 2 hours since my run ended (prematurely) and it still hurts, but no where near as bad as it did. I talked to a friend of mine last week who's not only an avid runner but also a doctor and he advised that I get a really good pair of runners to prevent injuries, so I've been planning on doing that when I go to Ottawa. But I think the problem lies more in how I run. I noticed that my right leg kind of swings out to the right as it goes back which twists my knee. I have no idea how to correct this. Does anyone know of any exercises or movements I can do to help correct this problem. I don't want to give up on running but I also don't want to need knee replacement surgery in 5 years!On a positive note, I got on the scale Tuesday morning and I'm down 2.3lbs! Damn WI day, I'm always lighter the day after! Now if I can only maintain that until next Monday. At least the pain in my knee is keeping me away from the from the kitchen...it's too far! :)
I took the personal points quiz today and I changed my answer for "In your main occupation are you mostly:" from "sitting down most of the time" to occasionally sitting, but mostly standing" as Lily keeps me running all over the house after her as well as my increased activity level. It bumped my points up to 24 a day. I'm nervous about that as I haven't seen the scale budge lately. Thought on this? Should I stick with my previous 22/day or go with 24?

3 comments:
Love your blog by the way - sorry to hear you are in so much pain. I'm hoping to start C25K next week (had minor surgery this week so had to postpone it).
Anyway, I did run a program a few years ago (yes, this is my Nth time on WWers) and noticed that when I did so, I did better when I ate my activity points on the day I earned them. So, that being said, maybe stick with the 22 points and make sure to eat you activity points on the days you are running? Try it for a week and see how it works. Good luck!
sorry about your knee but i think if you went to a store, that deals w/running shoes - they can give you tons of advice... perhaps they can tell you how to adjust your stride too... :o)
i would try the 24-points and see what happens... if you find that you're gaining or not able to eat all of them, go back to 22... can't hurt to try!
Like Jodi said, I would try bumping up to the 24 points a day, and if you find that your posting gains, take it down to 23, and then back to 22 if need be!
I sure hope your knee feels better, i can't imagine it's easy to chase after Lily all day with a sore knee!
Post a Comment