The other day on Twitter I declared this year "The Year of ME". I turned 32 this November and I don't want to hit 33 and feel (and look) the way I do now. As much as I love giving, and giving, and giving, and... well you get the idea, I need to start letting my family fend for themselves (in some respects, I'm not expecting my 3 year old to make her own dinner here!) a little so I can start taking care of myself. So I decided to write down some goals so I have something to work towards.
I feel like I've lost control of a lot of areas of my life. I spend a lot of time tidying, but my house is always a disaster zone. I spend a lot of time on the internet, but my blogs aren't being updated regularly and I'm terrible with keeping up with work. I spend a lot of time with my kids, but I don't think much of it is quality. And I don't spend enough time alone with my husband, or myself for that matter.
Here's where the goals come in, I need something to focus on, a destination to reach beyond the number on the scale. I need some short term, medium term and long term goals so I feel like I have some control over the direction my life is headed in. I don't want to be a passive spectator to my own life anymore. I want to be in the driver's seat! So here goes:
Short Term:
1. get into the habit of weighing, and measuring everything until I get a better grasp on portion sizes and I can eyeball it.
2. get serious about my workout routine and stick to it.
3. make sure I devote 1 night a week where I give my husband my undivided attention for a few hours after the kids go to bed.
4. make sure I devote 1 night a week where I leave the parenting to my very capable husband and do something I want to do.
Medium Term:
1. lose 10% of my body weight, a goal I've been anxious to reach but know will take some time
2. develop a better routine for cleaning the house and make other people pick up after themselves, I'm no body's maid!
3. make cooking lighter a more regular occurrence
4. continue to focus on my weight loss efforts as a priority and not a luxury
Long Term:
1. lose the 50lbs that are weighing me down (literally and figuratively)
2. spend more time taking care of me, more spa visits are in order!
3. get rid of all my "big" clothes so I don't backslide
I'm thinking I should be able to accomplish this over the course of the next year. It will take some focus, some energy and a lot of support from my family, which I'm sure they'll only be too happy to give. And even if I'm met with some grumbling, too bad, afteral, this is The Year of ME!
November 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Wow, you have really thought out every increment of your weight loss path. Amazing! I'm a little inspired...if you don't mind, I might have to join you on this little road...let me know if you want some company.
Absolutely Alana!
Post a Comment